A basic smoothie recipe is useful in two situations: for folks who need to gain or maintain weight, and for athletes looking for a way to eat whey protein after a workout. Here’s my post-workout smoothie recipe.
In a blender, mix to dissolve the protein powder:
- 1 scoop organic, grass-fed whey protein
- ½ cup of water
For nutrition and flavor, add:
- ½ cup fresh or frozen berries
- ½ cup coconut milk (The best milk commercially available comes in a can, not a carton. Look for a can that is BPA free.)
- For neurological health and weight loss: 2-4 Tbsp MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil or coconut oil
- For a more savory smoothie, substitute half an avocado for the berries
- For weight gain: ½ banana
How do you like it?